DENR GAD AGENDA:
FRAMEWORK and STRATEGIC PLAN (2021-2025)
(Version September 6, 2021)
The Gender and Development (GAD) program of the Department of the Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) subscribes to and actively carries out its mandate according to at least three development plans: The Philippine Development Plan (2017-2022), the Philippine Plan for Gender-Responsive Development (1995-2025), and Agenda 2030 of the United Nations.
As a progrGAD VISIONam of DENR, GAD contributes to the implementation of DENR’s mandate in the Philippine Development Plan (2017-2022), which are to lead in ensuring ecological integrity and a clean and healthy environment for Filipinos, and to work towards improvements in the socio-economic conditions of resource-based communities.
In accordance with the Philippine Plan for Gender-responsive Development (PPGD), 1995-2025, DENR’s GAD program seeks to ensure “full participation of women in the promotion of sustainable development and that women equally enjoy and benefit from the fruits of ENR development and management.”
The Philippines, being a signatory of the United Nation’s Agenda 2030, the GAD program of DENR also works to realize the country’s international commitments through contributing to the attainment of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) by 2030, most especially SDG 5 which calls for gender equality and empowerment of women and girls. The GAD program of DENR sees SDG 5 as cutting across all other SDGs and has the potential to help accelerate progress in multiple sustainable development goals.
In all these pursuits, the DENR GAD program for 2021-2025 goes beyond the strategy of mainstreaming gender in DENR policies and programs. It also seeks to integrate understanding of and solutions to the emergent and urgent concerns of climate change, and health and disaster risks and hazards that are now besetting the country, in DENR’s policies and programs including in GAD programming.
(For a fuller discussion of DENR’s GAD framework and strategic directions for 2021-2025, see “Beyond Gender Mainstreaming: Linking Environment and Natural Resources, Climate Change, Health, Disasters and Gender”)
A resilient nation with ecological integrity enjoying its natural resources through partnership of women and men sustainably managing the country’s environment and natural resources
Women and men are mobilized in protecting, conserving and managing the environment and natural resources for the present and future generations
- Improved participation of women in consultation processes, in community organizations and in decision-making bodies towards the sustainable management of the country’s environment and natural resources;
- Ensured equal access of women and men to environment and natural resource goods and services;
- Enhanced resiliency of women and men in natural resource-based communities.
- Enhanced gender mainstreaming in policies, plans and programs of DENR services, bureaus, attached agencies, and regional offices;
- Enhanced the knowledge management system of GAD; and
- Institutionalized GAD mechanisms in DENR services, bureaus, attached agencies, and regional offices that can serve as model to other organizations.
Download: GAD Agenda Framework and Strategic Plan 2021-2025
- Published: 20 October 2021